Home Church wedding Frank Coleman Lowery Jr. | The sun on the north side

Frank Coleman Lowery Jr. | The sun on the north side

2
0

Frank Coleman Lowery Jr passed away on Thursday, November 18, 2021 at the Hospice Ministries. The family will receive friends and family at Foley Hall at St. Richard of Chichester Catholic Church on Lynwood Dr. from 1 pm to 4 pm Sunday November 21 and Monday November 22 at 10 am. A resurrection mass will be held on Monday November 22 in St. Richard at 11 am with interment to follow at Lakewood Cemetery.

Coleman was born in Nashville on December 11, 1933 and moved to Jackson in 1936 with his parents Frank Coleman Lowery and Dorothy Sanders Lowery (Dot). He attended St. Joseph’s Academy, Bailey Junior High and graduated from Central High School in 1951. He was an Eagle Scout and member of the Order of the Arrow with Troop Six at St. Peter’s Catholic Church. . He graduated from Vanderbilt University in 1955. He was a member of the Kappa Sigma Fraternity.

From 1956 to 1958, he was in the United States Army and served in Fort Ord, California and Aschaffenburg, Germany. In 1958 he returned to Jackson, where he worked as an accountant at Stribling Brothers Machinery Company. In 1961, he joined Reid-McGee and Company where he became Vice-President and Secretary and Director. In 1983 he joined Bailey Mortgage Company where he served as Executive Vice President until his retirement in 1996.

In high school and after returning from the military, he was very active at the Little Theater of Jackson, serving a year as vice president of production. After the theater burned down he had the first line of the first play at the new theater which is now the New Stage Theater. The line was “Hello”.

Until his marriage in 1967, he was a member of Jackson’s Bachelor’s Club and served as its president in 1966. During this time, he perfected his recipes for Bullshot, Bloody Mary and Milk Punch. From its founding in 1953 until his death, Coleman was a member of St. Richard of Chichester Catholic Church. He has served on the parish council, the liturgy committee and the adult education committee. He was a member of the St. Richard School board for three years and president for one year. He was one of the founders of the “Timely Topics” Sunday school class. He was also Eucharistic minister and reader. He was involved in St. Richard’s annual fundraising campaigns for many years, including one year as president. He also volunteered for the St. Richard tutoring program at Brinkley Junior High and the Northside Library.

He was appointed to the Pearl River Basin Development District Council by Governor William Winter, to the Jackson Planning Council by Mayor Kane Ditto and to the Jackson Historic Preservation Commission by Mayor Harvey Johnson where he served. sat until his death. He has also served on the Board of Trustees of the Oaks House Museum and the Board of Trustees of the Mississippi Symphony Orchestra. He has been a long-time volunteer at the Mississippi Museum of Art, Eudora Welty House and Garden, and Stewpot. He served for six years on the Bookfriends Board, the support group for the University Press of Mississippi, and was president in 2011.

In 1955, he attended the Paris Summer University, the first of his 16 trips to Europe. He traveled to Asia three times, Mexico twice and Canada three times, the last trip to Canada was a train trip across the country from Halifax to Vancouver. He also visited all the major cities of the United States and their art museums. All of these trips were made with family and good friends and many were planned by Coleman himself. In fact, his friends nicknamed him “the Tour Director or TD”.

Nashville was also a favorite city to visit especially for Vanderbilt football games and he held season tickets for 16 years after his retirement. He has the distinction of having attended eight of the nine bowl games Vanderbilt has played. In fact, he once cut a trip short and flew from Paris to South Bend for the Vanderbilt / Notre Dame football game. He also supported the Vanderbilt basketball team by participating in 25 SEC basketball tournaments. Coleman was not a Commodores’ “fair weather fan”. He was bleeding black and gold.

His father, Frank, died in 1974 and his mother, Dot, died in 2004. His twin daughters, Catherine Hemingway Lowery and Helen Enochs Lowery, died in infancy in 1969. He is also predeceased by his sister , Helen Patricia Lowery Gibbons. (Patsy) and her husband David Cartan Loker Gibbons Sr., her in-laws Mr. and Mrs. Lemuel Owen Smith Jr (Margaret) and her brother-in-law, Lemuel Owen Smith, III.

He is survived by his wife of 56 years, Margaret Flowers Smith Lowery, his daughter, Margaret Flowers Lowery Stevenson (Maggie) and her husband, Steve, of Jackson and daughter, Dorothy Sanders Lowery (Sanders) of Memphis.

He is also survived by his brothers, John William Lowery (Jack) and Robert Sanders Lowery (Bobby) and his wife, Wanda, all of Jackson. Also left are his nieces and nephews, David Carton Loker Gibbons Jr and his wife, Lynne, of New Orleans, Dorothy Sanders Gibbons Church (Dottie) and her husband, John Mark of Mobile, Sarah Morgan Lowery Webb (Morgan) and her husband , Andy, of Pagosa Springs, Colorado, John Slaughter Lowery and his wife, Katie, of Los Angeles, Helen McNeely Lowery Grimsley (Neely) and her husband, John, of Brandon, Frank Benjamin Lowery of Atlanta, Lemuel Owen Smith, IV and his wife, Merrill of Chevy Chase, and Ann Elizabeth Smith Bailey (Betsy) and her husband, Jason of Birmingham, as well as several great-nieces and great-nephews.

Steve Stevenson, David Gibbons, John Mark Church, Ben Lowery, John Grimsley, John Lowery, Lem Smith, Jason Bailey and Michael Daschbach will serve as porters. Curtis Finch, Ralph Toon, James Irby, Billy Frank Sistrunk, Reuel May, Otis Johnson, Bobby Hardin, Noel Guthrie and Sandy O’Connor will be the honorary bearers.

In lieu of flowers, the family would appreciate commemorative contributions to Vanderbilt University, PMB 407727, 2301 Vanderbilt Place, Nashville, TN 37203-9700, St. Richard Catholic Church, PO Box 16547, Jackson, MS 39236 or the Mississippi Museum of Art, 380 Lamar St, Jackson, MS 39201.


Source link